Monday, January 10, 2011

The Left-Hand-Handicap

Hello again my 3 readers, sorry it's been a few days, back to my life as a fake adult at college.  Already having adjustment issues, but that's another blog brewing in my head, we'll go there another day.

I, like 8% of the world's population, live with what I call the "Left-Handed-Handicap" and it plagues my everyday life.  Here are some challenges I, and my left handed people face daily.

(If you have anything to add lefty's, feel free to comment and I will dedicate a blog to new challenges I forgot to add to this pity party).

Anywho, back to my everyday struggles.

1. The Oh-So-Easy-Manual-Can-Opener.....the one parents buy when they feel like being cheap and not getting electric, while I'm at it I'll start making my own butter. THIS particular item has caused many trees to die by paper towel use.  I can't begin to tell you how many times THIS happened during my childhood/teen years.

I would get out some SpaghettiOs, and go for the 1700s style can opener, and proceed to open my delicious lunch I was making, unprepared for the disaster that was to unfold....in all fairness, my mother brought this upon herself....if she would of just made me grilled cheese, this would never have happened, ever. I would precede to open my can all awkwardly with my right hand, because the can-opener, like most things, is made to be used by right-handed people. During this awkward opening, my awkward grip would slip....flinging the SpaghettiOs all over the counter, floor, me, (once my poor cat was a victim), and anything else within a 5 foot radius EXCEPT my bowl.  Not fair, a mess, no SpaghettiOs, feeling stupid for not being able to open a can of food.

2. Scissors.....the bane of my existence.....they make left-handed ones.....BUT not in kindergarden....when I was the one being sent to slow class because I was too uncoordinated to cut on the dotted lines. I am traumatized.

3. COLLEGE CLASSROOM DESKS....AHHHH!!! Ok, so I'm in Astronomy class today....which is in an actual planetarium, so the seats are leaned back quite a bit. now these seats have those stupid yet apparently effective build in mini-desks on the right side.  Normally, I can awkwardly reach across....which is inconvenient but doable. But not in this seat, oh no, this classroom has those laid back seats, so I can't reach far enough over to use the Biased desk, forcing me to stay leaned back....holding my notebook in the air. Not what I would call an appealing position.

4. This isn't really the world dissing my lefties....BUT because our hands drag over our writing...it makes the side of our hands dark from the lead or ink....and don't even talk about dry erase boards or chalk boards.....or using Sharpies/markers on anything....instant mess.

Hope you enjoyed this odd insight, I want to make a store that sells only Left-handed products....but tell no one...so when Right-handed people buy things and take them home.....they will be in a state of utter confusion as to why their kitchen and possibly their cat are covered in SpaghettiOs.

That's All Folks!

5 comments:

  1. I think there's an episode of Arthur dedicated to the "left-handed handicap."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I never watched the show.....A? Are you from PLL? If so....I hope for more cryptic messages.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're at the planetarium at BG...I'm pretty sure I remember there being left-handed desks on the desks on the left-most seats of the rows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lala? I looked everywhere....I'll find out tomorrow!! I even asked...we will see....that would make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @lala....you're right!!! i checked, though those are pretty janky, they will do!!!

    ReplyDelete